Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

Getting serious - Part 1

We really had to start thinking about the wedding after we were engaged. We decided that 1st September 1973 was a good date as it came right in the middle is the school holidays and I would be teaching by then.

September seemed a long time away. I had Uni exams, T had changed jobs and was still studying at night. I had my teaching and cleaning jobs and we were busy as bees.

T had applied for a couple of jobs including with the Commonwealth. In those days the public service was very forward thinking and was introducing computers to all government departments. They were seeking the best in the new field of computing and were even importing staff from various European countries. T had however not heard anything about his public service application so accepted a position with the 'Association of Employers of Waterside Labour' (AEWL).

T's new job kept him busy with lots of overtime but also with a very generous pay packet. He was enjoying his new work place and was surprised to receive a call, after we had been away for one of our little breaks, from Customs and Excise in Canberra asking where he was. He had been expected to be working in Canberra but hadn't even been informed that he had the job!

A period of soul searching followed and Canberra won out. With regret T had to inform his new workplace who were really sorry to lose him but were also amazingly supportive. It was all a big rush. T had to move to Canberra almost immediately and I was devastated.

One fateful Sunday in early February 1973 my parents drove me over to T's house and we had afternoon tea with T and his family. He then got into his beige Hillman Hunter station wagon, backed down the driveway and headed off to Canberra. I stood in the driveway and sobbed my heart out. I thought he would find someone he liked much more than me and that I wouldn't see him again. My parents took me home but I couldn't be consoled. T rang when he arrived safely but that didn't make much of a difference.

I mooched about at home and was generally so morose that my parents bought a TV so that I could at least be slightly distracted during the week. I guess it did help a bit, particularly when the bold new show 'Number 96' was on.

I shouldn't have worried. T drove the mainly one-lane-each-way Hume 'Highway' to Sydney EVERY weekend apart from the two weekends I went to Canberra.

No comments:

Post a Comment